We can't wait to welcome you to Andover College!
We have created this interactive page to give you a sense of what studying Accounting at Andover College is like. AAT stands for Association of Accounting Technicians and is a professional qualification for aspiring accountants and finance managers. Scroll down for an introduction to the course from your lecturer Amanda and then have a go at the accompanying activities!
If you have any questions about the course please get in touch, email -AskBusinessLawCare@Sparsholt.ac.uk
Be sure to take a look at all the extra-curricular activities and trips you will have the chance to do at Andover and investigate all the additional support we can offer at Andover College through our Careers and Wellbeing teams!
Meet your lecturer!
About the course
What is AAT?
- AAT is a body which awards accounting and taxation qualifications
- It is recognised by businesses in Andover, nationally and around the world
Introduction to Level 2 AAT:
- 6 hours of classtime a week
- Bookkeeping Transactions
- Bookkeeping Controls
- Introduction to Costing
- SAGE (Computerised Accounting package)
- Synoptic assessment
- Finishes during the Summer Term
All units are assessed by means of an online test at the end of the unit
Some units have results within an hour!
If you get a Merit or Distinction overall in the Foundation Certificate, you may continue to the next level!
Introduction to level 3 AAT:
- Level 3 (equivalent to A level)
- 6 hours a week
- Advanced Bookkeeping
- Final Accounts Preparation
- Management Accounting: Costing
- Indirect Tax (VAT)
- Professional Ethics
- Synoptic assessment
The level 3 AAT course carries UCAS points that will aid students in getting to their university of choice!
Introduction: Welcome to the course!
Please take a look at the presentation put together by your course lecturer Amanda and complete the accompanying activity defining commonly used terminology in AAT.
Interested in learning more? Take a look at the YouTube playlist below.
One of the best ways to further your knowledge is to stay aware and tuned into financial news reports. Take a look at the AAT website to explore further your options beyond college.
Interested in becoming an Accountant? Learn more through UCAS and your options for further study.
The Open University also has a variety of free courses available in various subjects - take a look here.
Student wellbeing and support
At Andover College we understand that starting college in these uncertain times can be daunting and we aim to make this process as simple as possible.
We have a dedicated team that provide our students with any additional support they need including;
- Carer support
- Childcare support
- Confidential one-to-one services
We also have at the college Romeo our therapy dog! Romeo is part of the continued effort from Andover College to consistently improve on and add to wellbeing provision for students. Romeo is based on campus with his owner throughout term.
Research has shown that students are significantly less stressed and anxious, and even have increased happiness and energy, immediately following spending time in a drop-in session with a dog present.
Level 2 AAT (1 Year)
Level 3 AAT (2 Years)
T LEVELS ARE COMING…
T Levels are a new qualification after GCSE that will take your future to the next level.
From September 2022, the college has been selected to deliver T Levels in a range of subjects including Accountancy. T Levels are a new, two year qualification for students aged 16 to 19. They have been developed in collaboration with employers and providers to meet the needs of industry and to prepare students for work.
When taking a T Level qualification, you will spend 80% of your time in the classroom and the other 20% in an industry placement. Through this you will learn the skills needed in your chosen industry and then be able to put those skills into practice. You will spend at least 45 days, each year of the course, in your industry placement, giving you valuable experience to help you stand out against the rest.
T Levels are nationally recognised by universities and employers. They also hold UCAS points as they are equivalent to three A Levels.
Did you know!
The average salary for an accountant in the UK, according to a survey by Accountancy Age, is £62,042 a year!
FBI Accountants were the ones to bring down Al Capone!
Our careers guidance aims to expand the horizons of all students enabling you to make informed career decisions in order to progress both during and after college.
Carol is our dedicated Careers Advisor for Andover College!
We also have our Sun Progression Mentor Anna!
Anna works alongside the Southern Universities Network (SUN) to help students recognise the routes of progression available to them, and to continue their journey in education!
We recently launched the new Careers Hub located in the College library so come and say hello to Carol and Anna!