We can't wait to welcome you to Sparsholt College in September!
We have created this interactive page to give you a sense of what studying Equine Studies at Sparsholt College is like. Scroll down to watch the playlist of videos we created and have a go at home if you can. You can send the answers to the quizzes below to SparsholtApplicantWelcome@sparsholt.ac.uk
Remember, we are on social media and love posting about our students, their achievements and our beautiful campus so be sure to give us a like and a follow.
At Sparsholt we also offer a lot of support to you during your time at college including Careers guidance and Health and Wellbeing advice.
NEW: Visit our campus virtually!
Join our expert lecturers on an exclusive guided tour across Sparsholt College's industry standard facilities and state-of-the-art equipment!
Those students wishing to take the Riding Pathway at Sparsholt College have to submit a video of themselves riding as part of their application so that the equine staff can assess their capability and competence for this option. The document below gives guidance to all applicants wishing to take the riding option:
PLEASE NOTE THE DEADLINE FOR SUBMITTING YOUR VIDEO HAS BEEN PASSED FOR 2020 PLEASE GET IN CONTACT FOR INFORMATION ABOUT LATE INTAKE OR 2021.
Equine Studies at Sparsholt
Katherine Luck, one of our expert lecturers and Curriculum Lead for Equine, gives you a tour of the student facilities followed by an introduction to the rest of the Equine team and a chance to say hello to some of our resident mares and geldings...
We've got lots for you to have a go at below:
- Equine quiz - see how much you know about catching, leading and moving horses!
- Horse health terms - see if you know what they mean and submit your answers with the quiz to the email at the top of this page.
- Fun facts about horses that you may or may not not know about!
- 5 Grooming Kit - word search
- Points of the Horse - word search
- Rug Types Activity - mix and match worksheet
- Equine Muscular Skeletal System - crossword
- Horse Tissue - word search
- When to call the vet - exercise
You can send your answers to SparsholtApplicantWelcome@sparsholt.ac.uk
File(s) to download
- Download Catching, Leading and Moving Horses Quiz.docx - Tuesday, 28 April 2020 [722.4KB]
File(s) to download
File(s) to download
- Download Rug Types activity - mix and match worksheet.docx - Wednesday, 03 June 2020 [224.1KB]
- Download The Equine Muscular Skeletal System Crossword.pdf - Wednesday, 03 June 2020 [214KB]
Kahoot quiz links to take part in and have fun with!
HORSE AND HOUND QUIZZES - there are more quizzes here than you can possibly imagine - so have a go and test your equestrian knowledge to the limit!
HAN EQUESTRIAN answers the most googled horse questions!
Student wellbeing and support
At Sparsholt College we understand that starting college in these uncertain times can be daunting and we aim to make this process as simple as possible.
We have a dedicated team that provide our students with any additional support they need including;
- Carer support
- Childcare support
- Confidential one-to-one services
University Centre Sparsholt
Did you know that Sparsholt also offers higher education including foundation degrees, degrees and masters courses in a variety of different areas!
University Centre Sparsholt is the perfect place to take your education further in the interesting and varied fields of Conservation and Wildlife Management, Animal/Zoo Biology, Fishery and Aquatics, Equine Science and Performance management or Veterinary Nursing Science!
Equine Studies Level 1 (Riding and Non-riding Pathways Available)
Equine Studies Level 2 (Riding and Non-riding Pathways Available)
Equine Studies Level 3 (Riding and Non-riding Pathways Available)
Our careers guidance aims to expand the horizons of all students enabling you to make informed career decisions in order to progress both during and after college.
Carol is our dedicated Careers Advisor for Sparsholt College!
We recently launched the new Careers Hub located in the College library so come and say hello to Carol and Anna!
Industry Work Placements
As part of our Level 3 qualifications (that is Level 3 Advanced Certificate, Diploma & Extended Diploma qualifications) full-time students aged 16-19 will complete a work placement with an industry-specific external employer or voluntary organisation.
Industry work placements provide students with opportunities to:
- Apply the knowledge learned at college to the workplace
- Increase confidence as skills are developed
- Develop communication, team work and problem-solving skills
- See how a business operates in the real world
- Identify key technical strengths and skills you will need at work
- Test your career choices and aspirations
- Line up an employer reference and achieve an additional college certificate for future use
One dedicated placement day per week will form a part of our students’ weekly timetable across the academic year. Our Industry Work Placement team will be here to support and guide you through this process from start to finish. We will also be hosting classroom sessions through the year in order to monitor progress and completion of timesheets and learner journals.
Get ahead of the rest and get your work placement sorted before you start your course with us. If you have any questions about this or would like assistance with your work placement search then please email the team - email@example.com and we would be happy to help.
The presentation below outlines in more detail the process for IWP, introduces you to the team and has a list of Frequently Asked Questions as well as giving you the documents you will need to start your IWP journey.